Its approaching that time of year – NHS Staff Survey, it’s the season to have your say! The Staff Survey is an important milestone of the year, as it enables you and your team to share your thoughts on what it’s like to work here at Dudley.
The results help us measure how staff feel about their job and the work they do. Also what we do well and where we need to improve as an organisation, for our staff and our patients.
As line managers, here are the key things you need to know regarding Staff Survey and its implementation:
- Get email ready for staff on long term sick or maternity leave – if a staff member would like their survey link to be sent to a non-NHS email account, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with their name and alternative email address.
- It’s online only – a personal link is sent to each individuals email address for them to complete
- Its anonymous – Although the survey company (Picker) track returns to send reminders, this is through a unique ID and cannot be tracked to individual answers/responses. It’s also not shared with anyone at Dudley Group. For teams smaller than 11 people, responses are grouped to protect anonymity.
- Complete it yourself – Completing your own survey also sets a clear behaviour – if it is important for you, your staff are more likely to understand it is important for them!
- Be Direct – ask staff if they have completed it. If not, what’s getting in the way? Can you break down any myths.
- It has huge influence – the results help in relation to investment and forward planning. And are used as a national government statistic when assessing the approach to healthcare.
- Give staff time to complete it – can you give your staff access to a computer and protected time to complete their survey? It will only take 15 minutes!
- Vouchers and Incentives – For all hospital sites staff (RHH / Corbett / Guest) – £2.50 tea/coffee voucher upon completion of survey. Staff must show you a screenshot of their completed survey before you supply them with a voucher. Please collect vouchers for your team from your divisional leads.
- For all community sites – Hampers will be provided to sites which don’t operate a Mitie canteen, as hot drink vouchers are not valid. Based on the number of surveys completed, we will be making hampers to the equivalent cost and delivering these to community leads to distribute contents. If you have any suggestions for what should be included in the hampers, please feedback to your leads who will liaise with the staff survey team.
We can’t be successful in the staff survey without you. Your voice is really important when it comes to encouraging and supporting your teams, to enable Dudley to be a brilliant place to work. We understand that when services are busy, time is prioritised in delivering good patient care, and Staff Survey is way of ensuring we can continue to do so!