This page provides information about the provision of services for people with a learning disability at The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust.
We aim to deliver high quality, person-centred, safe, acute hospital services for people with learning disabilities and to support this, the Trust has a dedicated Learning Disabilities Team.
The Learning Disability Team help improve the Trust’s provision for patients with learning disabilities and their families, making it easier for patients with learning disabilities to access hospital services.
The team also provide patients with learning disabilities an advocate to offer advice and guidance, not only to the patients themselves but also to the staff involved in providing their care.
Specifically, the team support patients with learning disabilities, their families/carers and hospital staff working with patients with learning disabilities to:
- Plan for admission, treatment and discharge
- Provide specialist advice, guidance on the provision of reasonable adjustments to ensure fair access and outcomes, and the management of complex or difficult situations
Making reasonable adjustments to ensure fair access and outcomes could include:
- Providing accessible information such as easy read information sheets, photographs and Makaton
- Offering first and last or double appointments
- Using a Health Passport to share information about the patient and their health with medical teams
- Ensuring effective care that involves the patient and their family/carer in the decision-making process around treatment and discharge
For a virtual tour of Russells Hall Hospital before your visit, please click here.
Contact our Learning Disability Team
Telephone: 01384 456111 extension 4205
Working hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 4pm
Easy Read leaflets are available from Easy Health here.