The dedicated Endocrine and Diabetes Centre operates from the north wing at Russells Hall Hospital. The centre assists in the long-term management of patients with diabetes.
Patients can benefit from services such as:
- Specialist diabetes service during hospital stay
- Multi-disciplinary support for intensive insulin therapy
- Pre-conception and antenatal care
- Adolescence care
- Insulin pump treatment
- Carbohydrate counting courses
- Specialist foot clinic
- Continuous glucose monitoring
- Flash glucose monitoring (Freestyle Libre)
We are also a research active unit, and conduct clinical trials as well as real-world studies.
We offer screening and follow-up for patients at risk of type 1 diabetes, as part of the Trialnet natural history study. More information relating to this can be found here.
The endocrinology department offers a wide range of services, including:
- General endocrinology
- Calcium and metabolic bone disorders
In addition, we have a reproductive endocrinology service which also includes management of:
- Endocrine disorders during pregnancy
- Gonadal disorders
The endocrine service is multi-disciplinary and supported by a dedicated endocrine nurse specialist. Referrals can be made via the Choose and Book system or by letter to a specific consultant.
We also offer for our primary care colleagues, consultant-led e-referral advice and guidance system, as well as practice-based diabetes MDT review. The quality of our services have been commended nationally and by peer review via the Getting It Right First Time Programme.