We are a team of speech and language therapists and assistants providing a service to inpatients and outpatients in hospital. We specialise in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of patients with a wide range of communication, voice and/or swallowing difficulties. Training is also provided to members of the team who we work with on the wards. For example, nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, dietitians, doctors, etc.
Patients in hospital who present with communication difficulties can be referred by anyone, including the person themselves or a relative/carer. However, for more complex cases and swallowing difficulties, our referrals come via:
- GPs and medical consultants
- Oral and maxillofacial surgeons
- ENT consultants
- Other members of the hospital team (as stated above)
We see patients with a range of diagnoses including:
- Head and Neck Cancers (e.g. cancers of the mouth and throat). These patients are supported by a MacMillan speech and language therapist.
- A range of neurological conditions (e.g. Multiple Sclerosis, Motor Neurone Disease and Parkinson’s Disease).
- Dementia (acute services only at present).
- Respiratory conditions.
- ENT disorders.
- Jenny Glynn
Adult Speech and Language Therapy Service Manager
- Royal College Of Speech and Language Therapists
- Dudley Stroke Association
- Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Parkinson’s Disease Association
- Alzheimer’s Disease Association
- A.C.T. at Selly Oak, Birmingham
- BSA (British Stammering Association)
- New IDDSI Descriptors April 2019