The Trust supports equality of access for all, in line with commitments set out in the Equality Act 2010. We are committed to complying with the Accessible Information Standard (SCCI1605 Accessible Information) and has a policy that sets out how we will ensure that we do so. This policy was reviewed in November 2022.
All Trust staff are expected to routinely follow the ‘five steps’ of the Standard:
- Identify individuals with information/communication needs including who will ask, what question(s) will be asked, and how, where, and when.
- Record individuals’ information and communication needs as part of existing patient/service user record systems and administrative processes, including using specific categories/codes.
- Ensure that there is an alert, flag, or other prompts to notify staff of an individual’s information/communication needs such that they are ‘highly visible’ whenever the record is accessed and prompt for relevant action(s) to be taken.
- Share: include information about individuals’ information/communication needs as part of existing data sharing processes (and in line with existing information governance frameworks, and the Data Protection Act 1998).
- Meet the individual’s communication needs to ensure that information is received in a way they can access, understand, and receive communication support if they need it. This may include:
- sending correspondence in alternative formats e.g., large print;
- obtaining patient information in alternative formats;
- arranging for a communication professional to provide support;
- arranging for a longer appointment.
The Trust is committed to monitoring compliance against this standard and will be working on strengthening monitoring arrangements in the future and make this available.
A copy of the Policy is available on request by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
The Trust website meets accessibility standards and the accessibility statement was prepared on the 22 September 2020. The full statement can be accessed here: http://www.dgft.nhs.uk/accessibility-statement/
For information about how to book interpreting and translation services see here: Interpreting service – The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust (dgft.nhs.uk)