From 25 May 2018 personal data will be held and used by the Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust (DGNHSFT) in accordance with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
GDPR will provide living individuals with the right to access their personal information held and used by DGNHSFT as the Data Controller. It governs how the DGNHSFT can use personal information; including how we acquire, store, share or dispose of it. It also allows you to ask the DGNHSFT to check the accuracy of your data, to alter any inaccuracies or delete data held on file in certain circumstances.
Guidance for Requests can also be found at
Personal information held by DGNHSFT can only be accessed by:
- Service staff who have a legitimate reason to do so, for example Clinical, nursing and health professionals providing your care and where there is a valid legal reason to see or share your data – passing on a welfare concern etc
- You (the Data Subject)
- Someone acting on your behalf with your written permission .
How do I access my personal data?
- Write to or speak to the Health Records Department at the address below
- Provide your name and full contact address, either postal or e-mail
- Include proof of your identity, for example, driving license, birth certificate or Identity card
- If someone else is acting on your behalf, you need to provide us with a written signed statement that you have given your permission for them to access your data for you
- Provide as much detail as you can about the information you want
- I would like a copy of my health records from(date) and to (date)
What the DGNHSFT will do
- Acknowledge your request within 48 hours and/or contact you if we need further details
- Inform you of any potential costs – this is only if you are asking us for copies of information we have previously provided
- Action your request within one calendar month – However this can be extended by a further two months if your request is particularly complex
- Give you a photocopy of any paper records.
- Tell you what data we hold on you and why, where it came from and who it may have been shared with.
In addition we will also:
- tell you if your data is transferred internationally
- confirm how long we normally keep the data (retention period)
- let you know how to ask for your data:
- to be amended
- to be only used for a specific purpose
- to object to it being used
- provide you with details of how to raise a concern with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO)
- If your request is clearly unfounded or excessive, we can refuse to provide you with the data. In such cases, we will explain our reasons and try to find a solution to your request. We will also give you details of how to make a complaint to the Trust or to the ICO.
- There are also a number of exemptions and further guidance can be found
Where do I send my request?
Please send all requests for personal data or queries about an existing request in writing to:
Access to Health Records Team
Health Records Department
Russells Hall Hospital
Telephone: call 01384 4561111 Ext:1390 to request a paper form to be sent to you.
Your information rights
The Dudley Group NHS Foundation Trust has a responsibility to ensure your personal data is processed in accordance with the principles of the GDPR Act 2018. To understand more please read our; Privacy Notice